Re: community gardening in the middle east

  • Subject: Re: [cg] community gardening in the middle east
  • From: Pat_Elazar@cwb.ca
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:55:43 -0600

Marhaba Charli! I strongly urge you to compare notes with the group in
Jerusalem thats about 20 mi's away from you & shares not only your weather,
but also a very similar lifestyle to yours- not withstanding your own
prejudice.
http://www.jerusalemcityfarmers.org/

Here's a link to an initiative in Gaza thats more propaganda than pita, but
it is at least geographically relevant....
http://cityfarmer.org/Gaza.html#gaza

Lastly- Paul Kaldjian did some really ezhaustive work on urban/peri-urban
agriculture in the middle-east that may interest you:
http://ag.arizona.edu/OALS/ALN/aln42/nasr.html  &
http://ag.arizona.edu/OALS/ALN/aln42/kaldjian.html

Just for the pictures of Istanbul allotments against the old city walls
alone, its worth reading the article... We can discuss the comparative
sociology if you'd like...?

                      Charli
                      <cholligal@yahoo.com>          To:       community_garden@mallorn.com
                      Sent by:                       cc:
                      community_garden-admin@        Subject:  [cg] community gardening in the middle east
                      mallorn.com

                      11/16/2003 01:38 PM

Hello all!

I'm new to the list.  My name is Charli, I'm an
American currently living in Amman, Jordan.

I am drafting a concept paper on establishing an
organic community garden in an impoverished
neighborhood in Amman aimed at boosting food security
and nutrition among those most vulnerable to rising
food prices.  My research has of course uncovered lots
of information about similar CG projects in Latin
America, Africa, and Asia, but nothing, not a word,
about community gardening in the Muslim/Arab Middle
East (Israel has some innovative CG projects, but
though the environmental challenges are similar, the
sociocultural factors are quite different!).  I'd
really appreciate hearing from anyone with knowledge
on the subject, especially as it relates to social,
cultural, and religious considerations, and would
gratefully accept suggestions of resources I might
have overlooked.

Also, by chance is there one among you who is
currently involved in CG project aimed at food
security in densely populated, poor urban areas
anywhere in the developing world?  I could use some
general advice on a few technical issues.

Cheers,
Charli

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree