Re: needles and school gardens (Charles Levkoe)

  • Subject: [cg] Re: needles and school gardens (Charles Levkoe)
  • From: Don Boekelheide <dboekelheide@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:30:27 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Charles,

We faced a somewhat similar problem in the homeless
garden I work with. It cleared up, to some extent,
once we got the garden in place and folks involved.
The dealers didn't like it, though, and did some
relatively minor trashing until they finally got tired
and left.

The problem with your school, I think, is how to get
the folks shooting up there to begin thinking of that
area as inappropriate for drugs (like a church isn't
right for shooting up, your grandma's house, the
counseling office...etc). Do you have any contacts
with the neighborhood for people who might spread the
word that you want to make a garden for the kids
there?

Is it sheltered, where folks can use and not get
caught? If so, you may want to look for a site that
has good visual access, or improve visual access to
your site. That helped us, since we're on a hill.

But the most important thing is the people. Sounds
like there are two worlds, one during school hours and
one at night.

Of course, there is fencing, but that's expensive and
doesn't always work. Is there a fence of any kind?

Good luck, at least you can know you are not alone -
our problem now tends to be beer and liquor bottles -
but you never know, any given morning, what you'll
find.

Don B. Charlotte NC

 1. needles and school gardens (Charles Levkoe)