Fwd: [tb-cyberpark]: [MG] Bulldozers held off 3 South Bronx Community Gardens...

  • Subject: [cg] Fwd: [tb-cyberpark]: [MG] Bulldozers held off 3 South Bronx Community Gardens...
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:45:51 EST

> Subj: [tb-cyberpark]: [MG] Bulldozers held off 3 South Bronx Community
> Gardens, Court Date Dec 1st!
>  Date: 11/24/04 8:17:41 PM Mid-Atlantic Standard Time
>  From: aresh@moregardens.org
>  To: mg@mediajumpstart.net
>  Sent from the Internet
>

> News from the tb-cyberpark mailing  list
>
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
> November 24, 2004
> Conacts:   Deacon James Murray, South Bronx United  Gardens, Inc.:
> 212-316-0433
>     Ray Brescia, Urban Justice Center: 646-459-3002
>
> Supreme Court Judge Issues Temporary Restraining Order
> Barring City from Razing Three South Bronx Community Gardens
> Hearing Scheduled for Wednesday, December 1, 2004
> This morning, the Hon. Eileen Branston, Judge of the Supreme Court, issued
> a Temporary Restraining Order barring the City of New York from selling
> three plots of land found in the Melrose Section of the South Bronx which
> currently are home to three community gardens.  The petitioners in this
> case, community gardeners and an organization representing community
> gardeners, South Bronx United Gardeners, Inc. (SBUG), brought the
> proceeding against the City for its failure to comply with procedures set
> forth in the City Charter in disposing of the City-owned lots.  The
> Petitioners and Respondents City of New York, the Department of City
> Planning and the Department of Housing Preservation and Development, were
> ordered back to court on Wednesday, December 1, 2004, at 8:30 a.m., Room
> 442, in the Courthouse at 60 Centre Street in Manhattan for a hearing on
> Petitionersb request for a preliminary injunction.
> The three community gardens that are slated for disposition by the City
> are known in the community as the bSunshine Gardenb, bFamily Group
Gardenb

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:15:41 -0500 (EST)
From: aresh@moregardens.org
To: mg@mediajumpstart.net
Subject: [tb-cyberpark]: [MG] Bulldozers held off 3 South Bronx
  Community Gardens, Court Date Dec 1st!

Hearing Scheduled for Wednesday, December 1, 2004
This morning, the Hon. Eileen Branston, Judge of the Supreme Court, issued
a Temporary Restraining Order barring the City of New York from selling
three plots of land found in the Melrose Section of the South Bronx which
currently are home to three community gardens.  The petitioners in this
case, community gardeners and an organization representing community
gardeners, South Bronx United Gardeners, Inc. (SBUG), brought the
proceeding against the City for its failure to comply with procedures set
forth in the City Charter in disposing of the City-owned lots.  The
Petitioners and Respondents City of New York, the Department of City
Planning and the Department of Housing Preservation and Development, were
ordered back to court on Wednesday, December 1, 2004, at 8:30 a.m., Room
442, in the Courthouse at 60 Centre Street in Manhattan for a hearing on
Petitioners request for a preliminary injunction.
The three community gardens that are slated for disposition by the City
are known in the community as the Sunshine Garden, Family Group Garden
and Latinos Unidos Garden.  These gardens are located in the Melrose
[...]
Family Groups mission is to improve the
health and quality of life for the families in the South Bronx.
Latinos Unidos is a family-oriented garden right across the street from
the Andrew Jackson Housing Development, an enormous project filled with
people who have no access to community green space, other than the
community gardens.  Latinos Unidos has
enjoyed wide community support.  It was founded by Juan Bolanos, an
immigrant from Cuba, who wanted to offer the community a place to relax
and enjoy beauty.  It is known for its cookouts and for the music that
pours out of the garden and the gardeners.  It is open every day for a few
hours after the working day, as well as on Sundays.
Despite the longstanding nature of the gardens at stake in this lawsuit,
the community gardeners affected by the Citys plans to demolish the
gardens are willing to consider alternate sides in the community for their
gardens.  The gardeners have proposed a comprehensive plan, the Homes and
Gardens Plan, that would preserve community garden space and promote more
affordable housing than is currently planned by the City.
    The Petitioners are represented by the Urban Justice Center.

Other Contact: More Gardens  (917) 518-9987, moregardens.org

in the BODY of the message.