Thanksgiving & Harlem's Holy Rosary Garden is Jeopardy

  • Subject: [cg] Thanksgiving & Harlem's Holy Rosary Garden is Jeopardy
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:33:26 EST

A personal note, before agit-prop(aganda) today. <lol>

I hope Thanksgiving was grand for you all. I spent mine with my son and
friends - the first of a quarter century without my late wife, Allegra,
for my son, friends, and a meal -  especially now, when funding for food
security (i.e., food pantries, soup kitchens, etc) is drying up and so many
are going
hungry in America.

Grateful also,  for a year's seasonal cycles, fresh produce and comradeship
in  NYC's Clinton Community Garden.  And the satisfaction of knowing that
are 10,000 gardens like it, according to American Community Gardening
Association statistics,  all over the US and Canada, building community from
ground up.

The here and now:

For starters.....I'm writing to you today from an office desk that has a
It seems that all the "Dilbert Cubes" in the inner core of this lawfirm's
support floor are occupied by regulars, so I've been alloted this rather large
desk in a partner's office to do my brief writing and correspondance,  "for
purposes of litigation."  It also helps that the office manager knows that if
left alone, I'll produce reams of material suitable for the litigation
to work with.  And that I always "look busy," even now, on my lunch hour,
writing to you.

Alas, the not-for-profits and foundations  that had interviewed  me several
times this year t for development/executive director posts  decided, at last,
to go with "re-tread" deveopment/executive directors, so I'm here today,
drafting these documents for about 10 hours more - and grateful for the work.

And on a crisp, clear day like this, under these glorious blue skies, and
wispy cotton like clouds - with a WINDOW no less, it ain't bad at all.

From my window, the skies of Manhattan are heartbreakingly blue, with whisps
of cotton-like cumulus clouds and I can see all the way uptown to the George
Washington Bridge and the Triborough as well, the low rise tenements,
abandoned lots and  spots of green - the community gardens in view on this
rare, clear

Less green in Harlem, evidently:   Sipping my coffee and eating a brown
bagged, lunch, I found this message from Alex Brown of the Harlem Urban
in my inbox.

Alex Brown is my heart - I look at him and I see me - except taller, younger,
darker, in better shape and looking - but I still have more hair!  But there
is nobody who is more committed to, or does more for his community's gardens
who has a real day job.

Here is a note to me and Aresh Jahadi, of "More Gardens!" re the endangererd
Holy Rosary Gardens asking us to show up at a Community Board 11 Land Use
Meeting on the disposition of city owned land in what our city calls the
Land Use Review Process ( ULURP).  Again, it is pitting a social service
facility against a garden.  The gardeners  want alot of paper petitions to
arrive in
Harlem no later than Friday, December 3rd.

There were petition attachments on the original e-mail to me, which I don't
know will transfer to this listserve, so Alex can re-send them ( from
Alex.Brown@sesameworkship.org) to you if you request them, or you can flood
his inbox
with e-mails to plunk down on the community board's desk during the hearing.
Yes, they are needed by Friday, December 3rd.

From one of the fliers:

"We, the officers and members of the Harlem United Gardeners (HUG) Coalition,
are asking for your support in saving one of Harlem's "green jewels" from
development bulldozers!!!

HOLY ROSARY COMMUNITY GARDEN, located at 435-439 E. 119th Street (between 1st
Avenue and Pleasant Avenue), has for over 14 years served as a positive and
beautiful community resource that has been experienced by both children and

Project Greenhope, a comprehensive residential treatment program for formerly
incarcerated women with various sites located in East Harlem, already has one
facility on Holy Rosary's block.  Now they are pursuing the site where the
Holy Rosary community garden now exists for the development of another Project
Greenhope buildingb&..on the same block!

STOP THE BULLDOZERS NOW ----- Let's stop the development on this site and
save this "green oasis" on E. 119th Street by signing our petition and
the December 21, 2004 Public Hearing, 7:00PM, Leonard Covello Senior Center
(between 1st and 2nd Avenues).

Please ask your fellow gardeners, friends and neighbors to sign this petition
and return it to Holy Rosary Garden, no later than December 3rd.  Send or
deliver to:             Rosa Toennies
            431 E. 119th St.
            New York, NY 10035

Thank you for your support!"

Please support these guys with your timely letters, signed petitions and
e-mails. These community gardeners are "our heart."

Adam Honigman
 Clinton Community Garden