Re: contaminated soils

Here is some information I have concerning soil contamination hope it helps.

tera

Michigan Department of Environmental Quality Standards

Metal             low, average, direct contact maximum acceptable amount

cadmium        3mcg/gm,1.2mcg/gm,200mcg/gm

copper            23-40mcg/gm, 32mcg/gm, 16,000mcg/gm

chromium            33-77mcg/gm, 18mcg/gm, over 2,000mcg/gm

lead                  78-146mcg/gm, 21mcg/gm, over 400mcg/gm

zinc                    47mcg/gm(average), 140,000mcg/gm

Chlorinated Hydrocarbons
Direct contact maximum acceptable amount in ppm (parts per million)

DDT                                 29,000ppm

DDD                                41,000ppm

DDE                                29,000ppm

Chlordane                       17,000ppm
Chlordane-trans
Chlordane-cis
Heptachlor Expoxide

Dieldrin                            620ppm

Dicofol                             no DEQ standard; limited use; similar to
DDT

Diazinon                           76,000ppm

Extra info:

Use Compost.  Compounds like DDT and lead can be retained in the soil by
adding organic matter like compost.  Compost has properties that cause some
compounds to 'bind' to the compost, and sometimes it even helps to degrade
the compound.
Tilling in compost can also help to dilute the amount of a compound in the
soil.

Growing green leafy vegetables such as lettuce, chard, collards should be
avoided.

There are two people working around the New York area sculptor Mel Chin and
Rufus Chaney, an agronomist who have been studying which plants have the
best ability to absorb heavy metals and toxic chemicals from the soil in
which they're grown.  Check out "Heavy Metal Garden"  by Amy Adams May-June
1998 issue of The Utne Reader (first printed in New Scientist Dec.27 1997
from IPC magazines)  From what I understand this process is called
phytoremediation and the following web sites may be of interest.

Phytoremediation of Lead in Soil
http://aec-www.apgea.army.mil:8080/prod/usaec/et/restor/phyremld.htm

 Phytoremediation of Hydrocarbon Contaminated Soils
 http://www.crcpress.com/index.htm?catalog/LA4146

A Citizen's Guide to Phytoremediation
http://clu-in.org/PRODUCTS/CITGUIDE/Phyto.htm