Scotts Company & USBG

Your note on the ACGA list serve caught my eye this morning. Could you
could provide more information on how Scott's products are destroying the
soil and harming our ecosystem. Is this a general indictment for all
Scott's products, or are there specific products that are of concern?

Looking at this issue from another perspective, questions arise when a
garden-based company makes a gift to a public garden and then is criticized
in a community forum for their generosity.

Perhaps before community gardeners are encouraged to fax notes to the
director of the US Botanical Garden, Robert Hansen, there might be more
information available from differing viewpoints for members of the
community garden list serve to consider.

For example .... Scotts has been extremely generous in providing support
for Plant A Row for the Hungry, which is sponsored by the Garden Writers of
America. This program is active in hundreds of community gardens throughout
the country and helps Food Banks by encouraging donations of fresh produce.
Scotts has also provided financial support for community parks, school, and
youth garden programs that have a positive impact on thousands of children.

While as community gardeners we have passionate feelings about the earth,
let's open this issue up to some discussion and work in a collaborative way
to advocate for community gardening and protection of our ecosystem,
without alienating companies like Scotts who actively support community and
school gardening efforts.

Jim Flint
Youth Garden Grants Director
National Gardening Association

At 01:41 PM 11/17/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Did you realize that our US Botanical Garden is being supported by "The
>Scott's Company"? The conflict, however, is that Scott's
produce/manufacture >products which destroy the soil & in turn, harm our
delicate ecosystem. Rather >than purpetuating the sale & manufacture of
such harmful products to "buy >indulgences" via supporting The National
Garden, we would all be much better >off if they just ceased & desist. If
you are as appalled by this adultery as I >am, please