Re: [sg] children's garden curricula

Hello Kirsten and all,

In addition to the wonderful resources available on the Web, I want to plug
a great book I have used which I believe incorporates many of the
activities published in a plethora of children's gardening books. It's
called Growing Together: Activities to use in your horticulture and
horticultural therapy programs for children. It's by Betty Morgan, and was
published by the Pittsburgh, PA Civic Garden Center, 1059 Shady Ave.,
Pittsburgh, PA 15232.

In addition to having all the activities I've seen elsewhere, and more,
it's a 300-page cerlox bound volume so it lays flat. It's a bible! Every
activity has a list of supplies, and it assumes no great amount of
horticultural knowledge.

As for your other ideas and questions, I'd like to have these conversations
too. This was also our first year, and mostly I tried to make it fun. We
grew a Pizza Garden which was a big hit. Another part of our garden design
that worked very well as a teaching garden was a traditional Native
American Three Sisters Garden (corn, beans and squash). It provided the
opportunity to get to know three very different species, and to integrate
ideas about organic methods, nutrition, companion planting, respect for
indigenous people and the plants they cultivated.

One thing I'll be working on for next season is more Native American
involvement, with people who can tell stories and have some connection to
the Three Sisters design. Also, I am looking for more music resources, such
as tapes and songbooks with garden-related themes.

How is your children's garden structured? Is is a part of an existing
community garden? Ours is an after-school program located in the community,
currently in a Parks Dept. facility that really lends itself to gardening -
a model farm in an urban setting. One advantage to being out of the
schoolyard is that we can run all summer and keep the interest level up
during the summer season.

Sunday Harrison
Green Thumbs/Growing Things Children's Garden
Toronto, Ontario