RE: help with a paper

Steven,

Here is the website for the NYC Council:
http://www.council.nyc.ny.us/index.html

Through this site you can get the phone, fax and emails of the following NYC
Councilpersons:

Anti-Garden

Margarita Lopez, Council  District 2 Manhattan ( The Esperanza Garden was
destroyed on her watch. As this is a scholarly paper, I won't trouble you
with the deal that led up to it's bulldozing. It will be interesting to hear
what response you get from her office. If you tell her the truth, i.e. that
you wan't to be fair and balanced in your paper, you'll probably get a
decent response.)
Councilperson Lopez is a progressive with whom I agree on many issues and
whom I helped elect ( she said she was pro garden.)

Phillip Reed , Council District 8

Bill Perkins, Council District 9

There have been 7 Harlem Community gardens destroyed during the last couple
of years ( including one with an over hundred year old Mulberry tree.)
Many of these gardens are on blocks with undeveloped empty lots. Harlem
politics is very, very complex. Play it honest, you may get some straight
answers. In the summer of 1999, when the bulldozers were working overtime in
Harlem,  I called Bill Perkins office and actually got him on the line
(Democrats are Democrats after all.)  Bill Perkins said, ( and this is
quoted on a stack of bibles) "Community gardening in the city is retrograde,
a way of keeping black people on the plantation. We need housing"
To date, none of the bulldozed sites have housing starts.

Both Bill Perkins & Phillip Reed do heroic work for their constituents -
real heroes during this administration. But their community gardening stance
is less than helpful, I personally believe motivated by developer campaign
contributions.

Pro- Garden

Kenneth K. Fisher, Council District 33 ( Brooklyn)

Adolfo Carrion, Jr. Council District 14 (Bronx)

These gentlemen sponsored Intro 44 ( aka the Greenthumb Community Garden
Preservation Bill) which is still, unfortunately, in committee.

Christine Quinn, Council District 3 (Manhattan)

Christine Quinn  sponsored my appointment to Manhattan Community Board 4; is
a co-sponsor of Intro 44;  and is most importantly working with gardeners,
advocates for senior citizens, non-profit developers and Community Board 4
to broker a deal by which the Oasis I & II gardens will be merged from 2
sites onto 1 - a derelict warehouse torn down to aid in the expansion of one
of the gardens to stem any loss of gardening space while adding 84 low
income, 1 bedroom apartment,  senior citizen housing units to our
neighborhood.

I'm sure that other urban gardeners will also add to your list of people to
contact for primary sources.

Good luck,

Adam Honigman