RE: Plants Help People Tolerate Pain

Comrades,

Re the findings of the good folks of Washington State University: I banged
my thumb with a hammer last Saturday while working in the garden and  cursed
a blue streak. The garden was in full end of season gorgeousness. My hand
hurt like hell. Could it have been worse had I banged my hand in less sylvan
surroundings?  I'm not planning on trying this experiment out any time soon.
I personally prefer brandy and a warm bath, but my wife - an RN - is no fan
of self indulgent men with boo-boos.

However, persons with AIDs, seniors and folks with all sorts of chronic
ailments use the Clinton Community Garden to recreate themselves, relax and
breathe. We have a club house residence for persons with mental problems a
few doors down. Both staff and clients say nice things about the garden,
draw pictures, walk about and the more together clients like to volunteer (
often more "sanely" than most of us.) Our volunteer bed gardeners try to
keep a multi-season visual show going for our 2000 + neighborhood key
holders ( many of whom will never get to the excellent NY Botanic or
Brooklyn Botanical Gardens.)
Once I had wrapped up my thumb, I continued tinkering, pruning,
gardening....

Happy Gardening,

Adam