Re: More on Allergy-Free Gardening

As one who began suffering from allergy-related asthma after moving to the
Hartford, CT area after years spent in Mississippi and Maine, I agree with
Adam asking about the role of pollution and, OK, even psychosomatic effects.
More research is needed into the increase of respiratory problems but don't
expect much, given the clout of the trucking industry.

Even if pollen only contributes to and isn't the sole cause of allergies &
asthma, it isn't right for a group, frugal community gardeners or not, to
add to the problem.  If an organization doesn't have the means to plant
allergy-free trees within the confines of a city, it shouldn't be planting
trees.  Especially when the word community is in their name.  It's similar,
sort of, to the medical missions in Africa who couldn't afford disposable
syringes so chose to re-use syringes and, according to legend, spread HIV
and other bloodborne diseases.

Unless the people who would clean up seed pods are the only ones who would
suffer from pollen-induced asthma, the choice to plant male trees isn't a
trade-off.  No more than when charities chose to trade off the risk of
disease against the cost of new syringes.  No more than the truckers' choice
to trade pollution for higher profit.  It's never fair unless those making
the decision pay all the costs of the decision.  I think pollen is much less
of a problem in the city than diesel exhaust, but at least pollen is
something we have some control over.

Bruce Wittchen