Re: [sg] Need info about community gardens & entrepreneurialgardens

Hi y'all.  Nelson, I believe the garden Ann is referring to, called Wonderland, is coordinated by a man named Sheldon Fleming.  I have never seen the garden, but have spoken to Sheldon several times through the American Horticultural Society's Youth gardening Conference.  He is an excellent resource, with an incredible accumulated experience of working with community groups of many types & populations.  He is also very knowledgeable as to construction aspects of developing a community garden-- types of surfacing materials, etc.  To top it all off, he's a super nice guy!  I believe you can reach him at (404) 288-0142.  (The business card I have is several years old, so the number may be out of date; however, I believe he is still in the same area of Decatur, Georgia.)

Good luck in your searching!

Cindy Klemmer
Garden Programs Facilitator
Dept. of Horticultural Sciences
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX  77843-2133
(979) 862-4582

>>> <Englishla@aol.com> 10/24/00 10:33PM >>>
In a message dated 10/24/00 11:24:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
talen507@hotmail.com writes:

> My name is Nelson Perez and I am a student of Landscape Architecture at the
>  University of Florida.  I am putting together a report on community
>  and I could use your help, please.  My report deals with the how to create
>  and how to run a community garden and base that to what I want to do after
>  I graduate.  When I get my degree I wish to start a non-for profit after
>  school tutoring program with a nursery on the side.  Part of the nursery
>  going to be used to teach the high school kids the business skills that
>  they will need when they graduate.  The other half will be left open to
>  community at large for a community garden.  Can you help me with some
>  information on how I can integrate the two programs together, please?

Nelson -- There is a garden with a very similar concept in operation outside
of Atlanta. I believe it is called 'Wonderland' and it was featured in the
Atlanta Journal Constitution in the past year or so.  I can't remember more
specifics than that other than it was an old dairy farm that the man who
started it converted into a garden learning center. He does a lot of school
field trips and other educational programs.  Good luck in your project!

Ann English, RLA

School_garden maillist  -  School_garden@mallorn.com