fall flowers?

  • Subject: [cg] fall flowers?
  • From: "Kristin Faurest" <kfaurest@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 21:53:57

how about cyclamen? the individual flowers aren't as stunning as single
dahlias can be, but with a big variety the colors are quite striking, the
foliage can be interestingly variegated, and they're very flexible with
regards to sunlight if they have good soil. they're very low maintenance in
my experience. in my half-shaded courtyard garden at my home here in
budapest (which is about zone 5 by US standards), they're gorgeous right up
to the first frost. for those who have greenhouses for winter storage or who
live in warmer areas, of course fuchsia bloom beautifully right up to
winter. i have some orange fuchsia that looks better now than it did in may.
my other favorite tender perennial is abutilon (called flowering maple, due
to the leaf shape, though it's not really a maple) which thrives in shade
and produces big, bell-shaped orange, red or yellow flowers from april right
up to frost. looks quite exotic but is very low maintenance.
kristin