Dahlia Care and Storage

  • Subject: [cg] Dahlia Care and Storage
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 14:33:53 -0400

Friends,

Before I start to scour the web for dahlia tuber care, I decided to reach
out to the modest master gardeners of this listserve who can do this in
their sleep and have done so since they were tots.

This is my second year with dahlias, and last year I mulched heavily ( NYC
does get blizzards)  but my tubers didn't winter well -  they rotted in the
ground.  This season's cut-rate "Martha Stewart" K-Mart dahlias are blowing
my mind with their size and fecundity. Yes, I pinched them off like crazy at
the beginning of the season, have been following best organic practices,
etc.

As I live in an apartment, I'll be storing them in a friend's basement. I've
got the part where sometime at the end of this month or just after
Halloween, when the foliage blackens, I remove the whole plant with tubers
which I set aside for storage ( labeled etc.)

Now it's the storage part that I'm a little confused about ( temperature,
what I should look out for when I check them during the off season, etc.)

Thanking you in advance for your advice,
Adam Honigman