Re:fund raising

  • Subject: [cg] Re:fund raising
  • From: "lisa vandyke" <vandykelisa@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 18:01:24 -0500

Hi Ginger and all the rest,
I haven't tried this, but have observed with awe the Minnesota Friends
School raise funds with a spring plant sale. The prices are no better, but
the sale has reached myth status. Part of this has to do with the
coordinator, a person who really knows plants and really likes to
experiment, so the material for sale is unusual, hard to find, organic,
heirloom, old-fashioned, you name it. He puts out a beautiful newsprint
catalog. Pre-orders are allowed, the sale runs two days and they carry
everything from annuals and baskets to fruit trees. This has grown over the
years, but I believe it is one of their primary fund raisers.

Adam, what's up that you are pushing the 501c3? In my research (many years
ago) it was pretty clear that education or something similar to that had to
be a very strong part of your mission and function. For many of us out here,
education is unfortunately not in the forefront of what we do. There are
certainly benefits to be had from it, but it's dishonest and asking for
problems if you change the focus of your garden just to give people a tax
break in exchange for their donations. It's a great idea if it fits, but it
might not...

best wishes from the tundra, Lisa from the Hare's Breath in Mpls.