Fwd: ACGA Conference Research follow-up

  • Subject: [cg] Fwd: ACGA Conference Research follow-up
  • From: Amanda Maria Edmonds aedmonds@umich.edu
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 22:16:26 -0400

Greetings list serve people!

I recently wrote to those who attended the "What Does the Research Show?" workshop that I gave at the ACGA Conference in July in NYC. I'd like to invite all of you who weren't in attendance to join the continuing dialogue to strategize about where to go from here regarding community garden research-- about how best we can build support and network among researchers, disseminate and publicize research, make sure research is accessible to the audiences who need it, redefine a larger research agenda, and encourage funding for research to be undertaken.

Currently, there are three ways to get involved:

1) Join our new community garden research email group, where we can continue to network with one another. Anyone interested in or participating in research is welcome. Email me, and I'll set this up and maintain it.

2) Help with the community garden literature review Katherine Alaimo and I (at the University of Michigan) are working on, by reading and summarizing main points of articles. It's a good chance to summarize research you've produced or are already familiar with, or to finally read that research you've been meaning to. If you're willing to do this (even just by summarizing one article), drop me a line, and we'll explain the process. We'll send you a list of articles needing reviewing, a template for how to do it, and will mail you the article (if you don't have access it to it yourself). Folks who want to be more involved in writing may also become co-authors of the lit review. WE NEED MANY PEOPLE'S ASSISTANCE ON THIS PROJECT, since, as we've seen, there is a large and growing body of research already out there.

3) Continue to send citations, links, and articles my way-- we'll get links posted on the ACGA web site, and other citations will be added to our growing bibliography.

Hope to hear from many of you!
Amanda Maria Edmonds