Need some major advice....

  • Subject: [cg] Need some major advice....
  • From: "Deborah Mills" deborah@greencure.org
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:29:56 -0700

Hello Everyone,

I am going to pose a few major questions that I need insight from gardeners
as a whole. I know nothing is carved in stone but an insight came to us
yesterday at our general meeting/mixer in support of Green Cure. The insight
was that gardening is a solitary sort of endeavor where many do not want the
"social" aspect of what a community garden can bring. As a result, when
rallying for support, often times the gardeners themselves are not there
because they are not the "type" of people to be "out front" in the public's
eye. This is neither "good" nor "bad" it is just so. If this is true, there
has to be another forum or "type" of people that will help. Of course their
motives will be different but how can I get to them and who the heck are
they?

The goal of this gathering was to get more interested people on board
(literally and figuratively speaking). As an organization we are at that
awkward age of where we will "grow" or stay "status quo". Since I am the
founder, of course, I would like to see us grow and become stronger in our
community. My expertise really lies in creating and implementing gardening
programs. For example, youth garden and Horticultural therapy programs.
Presently I am serving as President and Executive Director, which is way too
much! Our most dire need is to find someone to take over being President and
to get more people involved so I don't have to do it all.

Aside from our community garden membership we have a general membership
where individuals receive our newsletter plus get discounts at two local
merchants and other educational material. Evidently it is enticing to some
but not enough to keep the memberships rolling in or the amount of
individuals to come out and help us when it is needed. The sense I get is
"Oh, Green Cure is doing great things and we support you" verbally of
course.

My first question is how can we successfully recruit more individuals to
become members at large, board members etc. I feel we are hoeing down the
wrong row completely. Is it more incentives from merchants? Or more garden
talks that members can attend for free? What am I missing here?

My second question is, if the majority of gardeners themselves do not want
to get involved because they are loners who want to be with nature and not
people, where do I go to get people to help?

Lay it on me folks..

Thanks in advance,
Deborah Mills
www.greencure.org