"Make A Difference Day" News Release

  • Subject: [cg] "Make A Difference Day" News Release
  • From: Alliums garlicgrower@earthlink.net
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:06:47 -0400

Hi, Folks!

This is what we're doing at my community garden. If you're in the area, come join us -- we're going to have lots of food this year! (And with the weeds sprouting up after all this rain, we could easily keep 200 people busy!)

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of

***************

Fall Work Day at St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden on October 26, 2002 to celebrate "Make A Difference Day".

As part of the national day of service, "Make A Difference Day," St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden will hold its Fall Work Day on October 26, 2002 at the community garden (located behind Bethel Baptist Church at 412 Fairview Street on the North Side of Phoenixville) from 10 am until 2 pm. Lunch, donated by local businesses, will be served at noon to all participants!

To make the day fun for everyone, we'll feature the following range of activities, from low to intermediate to high energy, so that anyone who visits the garden that day can contribute according to their ability.

1) Weeding Perennial Areas -- Team Leaders: Tina Abel with Carol Henzel, and Barbara Bailey

Low-impact, but very necessary weeding in the orchard, perennial flower and herb areas.

2) Cleaning and organizing the tool sheds -- Team Leader, Rev. Linda Gruber

Rev. Linda will lead a group to clean and organize the tool sheds. They will also re-mulch the churchyard at 315 Gay Street.

3) Preparing the ground for a new formal herb garden -- Team Leader, Irene Sobotincic

Our two-time winner of the Philadelphia Harvest Show Best of Division Medal for Herbs is designing a formal herb garden for the back of the community garden. This group will clear debris, then layer cardboard and mulch to create a new planting area for herbs, to be planted in the spring.

4) Planting Brigade -- Team Leader, Dorene Pasekoff

We have grapevines, antique roses, rare herbs and 2 cherry trees to plant around the community garden.

5) Clearing the Northwestern Corner -- Team Leader, Frank Desimone

It's time to take mattocks in hand and rip out all those invasive multiflora roses from behind the pergola and the northwestern perennial bed! We'll also cut down the small trees, rip out the vines and completely re-landscape the planting bed so that we can extend our perennial area.

6) Digging a trench for the water line -- Team Leader, Tommie Dean

Tommie will direct the St. Gabriel's Hall volunteers in digging a trench from the new water line in front of the garden to the spigot at the Fairview Apartments to connect our hose underground.

Our greeter, Bob Noll, will meet volunteers when they come to the garden's entrance and help them choose an activity. Sara Ann Poinsett will pick up fresh pizzas from local outlets to serve lunch at noon.

The following organizations are also participating in "Make A Difference Day" at the community garden:

Sponsors:

TD Alfredo's Pizzeria, Phoenixville: 10 large pizzas
Papa John's Pizza, Phoenixville: 10 large pizzas
Kimberton Whole Foods, Kimberton: Beverages for 80 people
Panera, Aubudon: Italian breads and pastries
Exterior Structures, Unlimited: wheelbarrow and tool loan

Volunteer Groups:

Phoenixville Junior Girl Scouts
The Cub Scouts
The Pathway School, Norristown
Mitchell (community garden) Program of St. Gabriel's Hall
Chester County Juvenile Probation Department, Community Service Program

Last fall's work day included folks ranging in age from 3 to 71 years old. "Make A Difference Day" on October 26th is a perfect time to come visit Phoenixville's only public community garden and see why we won the Medium Community Garden Sweepstakes Award (given to the medium-sized community garden with the most blue-ribbon entries) at this year's Philadelphia Harvest Show! The garden is also the primary source of in-season fresh produce for the food bank at Phoenixville Area Community Services (PACS). Call Dorene Pasekoff, Garden Coordinator, at 610-933-5311 with questions or to volunteer for the day. We look forward to having everyone in surrounding area join us on "Make A Difference Day!"