Re: Vegetable Garden Compost

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Vegetable Garden Compost
  • From: "Sharon Gordon" gordonse@one.net
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 18:33:06 -0400

suggested I not use
> Eucalyptus leaves/stems in this compost.  Is the
> Eucalyptus really bad, and are there other
> plants/trees that I should not chip/shred for use in
> the vegetable garden compost?

Others to avoid are
Walnut leaves
Poison oak/ivy
Treated lumber
Plants grown on soil with toxic heavy metals
Plants sprayed with herbicide
Also watch out for barnyard manure from animals which have eaten plants with
herbicides that make it through their digestive systems.

Things to be careful with
Anything with thorns--handling it can be a tetanus hazard if there are skin
punctures before the thorns completely break down
Mint family plants--Make sure they are very dead so they don't clone
themselves in your compost