Re: leaning community garden soil

  • Subject: Re: [cg] leaning community garden soil
  • From: "Deborah Mills" deborah@greencure.org
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:06:53 -0700

Actually Springtails are a sign of healthy soil filled with organic matter.
When it comes to potted plants, Springtails can be a nuisance.  I recommend
letting the pot dry out in-between watering since they like the moist

I did send a sample of the Springtail that was found in the garden to the
Collembola Guru in the world and it was found to be a species that was never
found outside of Florida. It too was not known to be a "home invader". I
joke that the Springtail came on holiday and ended up in a rainstorm.

How we did decrease populations was to spread the mulch thin and let it dry
out completely. The populations went back to normal in about 3 months.

I'm sure everyone has seen one without knowing what it was. Have you ever
read a book in Park and saw something the size of a flea that scurried
across the page? Most likely that was a Springtail.