developing a private garden for public use

  • Subject: [cg] developing a private garden for public use
  • From: "kevin kusch" kfkusch@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:45:55 -0500

I am writing to ask if you have any ideas on how I can take my six acres and develop a "Public Garden." My wife and I took the property and turned what used to be an unkept pasture, into a well groomed lawn. But, we want to take it further. We thought that if we could develop a public garden it would benefit the community and give area seniors and kids a place to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature. We really do not use the land for anything now, so it would be a great way to make use of the land. We are not aware of any gardens in the area now, and it would be something new for the community.

We plan to have a walk through garden with groomed pathways for guest to stroll along and enjoy the beauty of the garden. There are two ponds in development now. One will be stocked with Catfish, Bluegill, and Crappie, for a "catch & release" fishing hole. The other will be stocked with colorful Koy fish. This pond will also have water plants and special water features.

Other areas of the garden we plan to have are theme garden, i.e., moonlight garden, fragrant garden, rose and flowering shrub gardens.

I contacted the Commerce Department on September 23, but they have not replied to my e-mail. Additionally, I have spent hours on the internet searching for ways to fund the project. There are many cities and rural communities across the nation that have done this already, but it looks like they went through their local governments to some degree. Also, I have purchased several books about grants, loans, and anything else that would give me leads to getting the project started. It is pretty difficult to sort out though. Some of the terminology I never heard of before, but I am trying to learn.

If you could find the time to give us your ideas and input, we certainly would appreciate it. Perhaps you have someone or an organization you can put us in contact with. Thus far, we have contacted these organizations: National Garden Association, Federal Programs for Sustainable Agriculture, Native Plant Society, Local and National Extension Offices, Southern Region of SARE, Texas A&M Horticulture Department, and National Parks and Forestry Departments. And, many, many, more that I wonít trouble you to read.

We appreciate your time, and hope you can help. My daytime telephone number is: 903-236-9355, Monday through Thursday. Otherwise, you can try me at home @ 903-797-2088 if you wish to contact us by telephone. My e-mail is:

Thank you for your time.

Kevin and Evelyn Kusch