RE: developing a private garden for public use-with message!

  • Subject: RE: [cg] developing a private garden for public use-with message!
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:41:36 EDT

Thank you for sharing this very interesting with this listserve.  To have an idea of what American Community Gardening Association members do, and how our gardens are organized throughout the US and Canada, please go to our website and read some:   American Community Gardening Association

Here are links to Texas based community gardens:

South Austin Community Gardens

Sunshine Gardens, Austin

Sustainable Food Center, Austin

Houston Urban Harvest

You will notice that a lot of the ACGA's  work is involved with raising food for food pantries and kitchens as part of a grass-roots hunger relief effort in our cities.  We also have a strong educational as well horticultural mission in creating beautiful, citizen run gardens in places that never had them.

Also, as someone who has been engaged in volunteer work for most of his adult life, may I make a suggestion? Please be patient with volunteer greening and governmental departments not engaged in public safety - between cutbacks to services that we are experiencing throughout the US and the volume of queries posted, it may be a while until you start getting some answers.  In NYC, we would look at a donation of six acres of land for a public garden as an act of amazing philanthropy ( Rockefeller Center and the World Trade Center sites are each built on about that amount of land) but it would still  take time to get an answer in the land of the "New York Minute."

To get a sense of what is done with donated land in the USA, please go to the website or the Trust of Public Land, a group that has saved all kinds of property, from Civil War battlefields to tiny NYC community gardens:

Trust for Public Land

Contact TPL's Texas Office
Texas State Office
815 Brazos Street, Suite 400
Austin, TX 78701
(512) 478-4644
FAX (512) 478-4522
E-mail Media Contact
Valarie Bristol
Benjamin Larkin
(512) 478-4644

Good luck with your quest and best wishes!
Adam Honigman
Clinton Community Garden

Texas TPL