Re: Mathematical Formula for Garden Yields

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Mathematical Formula for Garden Yields
  • From: "Jim Call" jimcall@casagarden.com
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:43:49 -0600

Typically, we put our "per unit serving" at 2 1/2 lbs.  Many times our clients will get as much as 4 to 5 lbs per delivery, but we have
some folks who only want a few tomatoes or a handful of Okra.

Getting back to the turnip harvest, here is a page that will display/explain it...  http://www.casagarden.com/turnips.htm

A short comment on Biointensive Gardening.  I believe in this manner of gardening as long as you reach maximum productivity. But when it comes to planting 50 different plants in a small space just to say it can be done goes against being a "productive" garden.  In one bed, we planted squash(spring), followed this with Purple Hull Peas (July) and finally planted Tokyo Cross Turnips.  Thats what I call Biointensive Gardening.

In a case of me overseeding 2 beds of broadcasted turnips, our yield will be low if any.  This is what happens when you
have overcrowded plantings.  They compete for everything, water, nutrients, above and below ground space, etc.

This year, we went vertical on one planting of our cucumbers.  5 rows @ 40' yielded over 500 lbs. See at... http://www.casagarden.com/cukes_03.htm  Plus, the volunteers loved harvesting them grown like this. We will
go with this format in the future for all our cucumbers.  We used cattle fencing cable tied to 6' T-posts.  Everything
is reusuable except the cable ties which are cheap.

Connie wrote: "As to how much a typical 4 X 8 bed produces, I've seen everything from 4 pounds to 15 pounds.

Our typical GardenAngel gardens which are 4' by 8' normally yields at least 30 lbs and can go much higher if properly
maintained. Our test GardenAngel garden donated by Gardeners Supply yielded 25 lbs of tomatoes.  It would have
yielded more but we had to throw some of the tomatoes away because a Mockingbird built her nest in this "Tomato
Tree" and so we couldn't disturb that particular area until she finished raising her family.  Actually, she and her little ones ate part of this harvest.  See at...  http://www.casagarden.com/gs_03.htm  This was one the most beautiful tomatoes I've seen.  When
you buy one of these kits, you get everything except water and tomato plants.  They even supply organic fertilizer.

Oh yeah, I figured out our weed problem.  Next year, we will cut out literally hundreds of hours of weeding.  News at eleven...

Jim