"Make A Difference Day" -- What we did!

  • Subject: [cg] "Make A Difference Day" -- What we did!
  • From: Alliums garlicgrower@earthlink.net
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:16:31 -0500

Hi, Folks!

We had a BEAUTIFUL day on Saturday for "Make A Difference Day" and we got EVERYTHING done in the garden to prepare it for winter. If you didn't come, you missed a great time and lots of foods -- but don't worry -- the Spring Work Day is the last Saturday in April and we'll be sure to have another great time and even more food! :-D

Dorene

October 27, 2003

Dear "Make A Difference Day" Participant:

Thanks to your help, St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden's "Make A Difference Day" Fall Work Day on October 25th and the Chester County United Way "Days of Caring" (October 16th and October 21st) were a tremendous success! We had 68 people, ranging in age from 12 to 75 years old and completely readied the garden for winter.

First, let's have a hand for our sponsors whose generous donations provided the wherewithal so that we could actually have the event!

TD Alfredo's Pizzeria: 10 large pizzas
Domino's Pizza, Phoenixville: 5 large pizzas
Little Daddy's Pizzeria: 2 large pizzas
Kimberton Whole Foods: natural sodas
Chester County Cares: baked goods

Next, let's have an even bigger hand for the folks who got up early in the morning to join our gardeners in making a HUGE difference at Phoenixville's only community garden:

Siemens Medical Solution Corporation ("Days of Caring")
Mitchell (community garden) Program of St. Gabriel's Hall
Chester County Juvenile Probation Department -- Community Service Project

The Siemens people completely weeded the perennial areas and filled in the northeast drainage swale with rocks. Then, on "Make A Difference Day," the attending youth were able to mulch all the perennial areas and clear out the northwest corner (and save a volunteer crab apple tree) so that the plants have both shelter and nutrients to survive the winter. This spring, take some time to visit us at 412 Fairview Street, Phoenixville, PA to sit under the hardy kiwi pergola and enjoy the beauty these volunteers created on "Make A Difference Day."

Thanks to your hard work and donations, we were able to close the garden for the year, secure in the knowledge that when we open again in the spring, we'll have more growing areas so that we can grow more produce for the food bank at Phoenixville Area Community Services (PACS). On behalf of the gardeners at St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden, I thank you for your support, good wishes and donations of materials and time so that together, we can see that the hungry in Phoenixville are well-fed.

Sincerely,

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator