kids & gardening

  • Subject: [cg] kids & gardening
  • From: Minifarms@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 19:32:14 EDT

The Oct/Nov Organic Gardening has a wonderful article, 6 pages, on kids,
healthy food and school gardening.  I wanted to post it here but it is not  on
their website????  I have complained because I wanted to email it  to people
and
I have asked OG to make it available as a hardcopy, also,  to give to others.

I have a free, one page, document, Proven Practices for School Gardens, on
organic, no-till  gardening.  With no-till there is no need for power
equipment
and there is  no hard physical labor needed so children, the elderly and lazy
adults can  garden very easily.  Send request to _minifarms@aol.com_
(mailto:minifarms@aol.com)   The OG article  makes a strong case for schools
to become
involved in gardening and the page  tells them how.

Another interesting article is  in the Oct 05 Progressive Farmer magazine.
It is about a book "Last Child  in the Woods:  Saving Our Children from
Nature-Deficit Disorder"  by  Richard Louv.  America's children never go
outside and
experience  nature.  Therefore, gardening is even more  important.

Here is an interesting website  covering gardening in Europe:
jardins-familiaux.org  [english _fran_
(http://www.jardins-familiaux.org/frameset/france/foffi.htm) _g_
(http://www.jardins-familiaux.org/frameset/france/foffi.htm) _ais_
(http://www.jardins-familiaux.org/frameset/france/foffi.htm) ,  _deutsch_