RE: community garden fee hike

  • Subject: RE: [cg] community garden fee hike
  • From: "Alliums" garlicgrower@green-logic.com
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 09:26:18 -0400

Hi, Folks!

"They reportedly researched the average fee for community gardens (35 to 45

cents per square foot?) to get closer to 'market rate.'"

First off, ask to see that research.  You've got the American Community
Garden Association's listserv (representing, as Adam mentioned, THOUSANDS of
community gardens in the US and Canada) and not only have none of US ever
heard of an "average fee" for community gardens, but there's NOTHING about
an "average fee" on the website.  You didn't mention your city, but whoever
your Board members are for your region, I'd get them to write a letter on
ACGA letterhead to that effect.

In community organizing, there is no substitute for "bodies in chairs" at
official meetings and LETTERS/E-MAILS/FAXES, rather than petitions.  The
written word scares your average local politician more than anything else
and a deluge of letters/e-mails (all cc: to other government officials up
the chain AND to the local newspaper).

Write up a sample letter for folks to amend for their situation (put in
blanks so that things have to be filled in), gather the fax
numbers/e-mails/addresses of those making the "proposal" to raise garden
fees, whatever politician oversees their office and the local newspaper
garden writer/city desk.

Once you get those faxes/e-mails for whoever did this "research", post them
here.  After 15 years of running a community garden, I want to see this
"research" that tells me that the free plots we offer aren't "average."

Good luck.  You'll need it, but if you have numbers, volume and rationality
on your side, you'll most likely prevail.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of