Re: NYC Garden Insurance Working Group

  • Subject: [cg] Re: NYC Garden Insurance Working Group
  • From: stoneedie@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:15:48 -0400

Hello all- I am somewhat surprised to hear that there is a "New York City Garden Insurance Working Group"  that doesn't include a Parks representative.  I am sorry that I haven't been more  vocal on this topic but I am waiting for some clarification from up top at the Arsenal.  Given the level of worry out there at this point I do feel like I need to clarify at least a few things immediately.

1. It is true that NOSC is no longer providing a low cost garden insurance policy.  It is my understanding that they were unable to obtain any policy that would be affordable to gardeners.  Because they could not obtain a renewal policy, the insurance coverage lapsed at the end of the last policy term, in mid August.

2.  The Parks Department (including GreenThumb) immediately began looking for a solution to the problem.  It was at all times assumed that the City would take on the majority of the liability and most of the cost for any new policy that was obtained.  NOSC was also reimbursed by the City for the the difference between what they paid for last years coverage and what they actually received in gardener payments.  I was informed that NOSC had returned any renewal checks sent in by the gardeners uncashed.

3. In the 6BC incident, the City Comptroller's office almost immediately agreed to take on the liability  once the incident was brought to their attention.  No one in the garden will be held personally liable.  Some of the other facts mentioned about the incident on the list serve are also not accurate, but since the case is in litigation I do not feel it is appropriate for me to discuss anything in a public forum.

4.  Within a short time (this is what I am awaiting clarification on) the Parks Department and Corp Counsel will be finalizing a new low cost insurance policy for gardeners.  Our goals are to provide full liability coverage and for the price to gardeners not to exceed $250 annually.  It is taking some time to work out all the details, but in the meantime, so long as you are on City Property the City is liable as long as you are engaging in normal gardening activities.  I am not a lawyer and I am not even going to try to define that, but I think if you speak to the gardeners at 6BC personally you will see that we are taking care of them.
I hope this helps.  If you have further questions please email me at my Parks email address edie.stone@parks.nyc.gov
-Edie Stone, Director, GreenThumb