Questions about Fall Clean

Hello out there,
I am writing from Burlington, Vermont.  We have had an unusually warm rainy
fall and in result closing up our 8 garden sites around the city has been
difficult.  We are one of those community garden groups that actually plows
and tills the soil for the gardeners.  Each fall we ask the gardeners to clean
their individual plots (about 25X30) so that we can plow.  Then in the spring
we come back and till.  This is our largest expense (about 1/3 of our total
budget)  The issue arises that gardeners complain that they want to keep their
brussel sprouts and kale and carrots in the ground longer even though in all
our materials it is clearly indicated that anything left in the garden after a
determined date is considered abandoned.  So now we are trying to figure out
how to solve this issue and save money.  Our plot fees will $52 for a full
plot in 2006.
I am interested to know what other programs do about tilling and plowing and
how clean up takes place and is enforced.  Any information would be greatly
appreciated.  There is a gardener advisory board that I would like to share
this information with so that we can perhaps make some changes for the
Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply.  Descriptions of our
community garden sites can be found at
Thanks again!!!!!!

Lisa Coven
Land Steward
Burlington Parks and Recreation Department
645 Pine Street, Suite B
Burlington, Vermont 05401
802- 863-0420
fax- 802-862-8027