Re: Fencing, theft & vandalism

It's very interesting to hear the different approaches to fences from around the country. Here in Manhattan a fence is a necessity since without it we would have:

1) Homeless people sleeping all over (our sympathies are with the homeless but the garden is not the right place).
2) Illegal drug dealing and drug taking.
3) Rampant vandalism.

With the fence very little or none of the above happens. Our garden started when the avenue we are on was a notorious drug supermarket. Once the fence went up the garden became a sanctuary from the desperation and crime outside the gate.

We also have to light parts of the garden at night to prevent people from using the children's area as a drug den. It happened a few years ago, people were climbing the fence and using the children's area all night long. In the morning, parents would find needles and other unsavory things. A strategically placed, energy efficient light ended that, but we have to pay the increased electric bill. Some gardens in our area open the garden and leave it unmonitored all day but our experience tells us not to do it that way.

William Hohauser
6th Street & Avenue B Garden
New York, NY