Re: deer posting

On Tue, 05 Oct 1999, Russ and Jane <mtartist@ttc-cmc.net> wrote:

>How are we going to keep the deer out of our garden?  We are in the
>planning and designing phase right now.  Any input would be great.

Some design suggestions: Several folks in lower Fairfield County, CT (a
place with stupendously heavy human and deer populations) have reported
great success with a fishline barrier around their properties. The idea
is to string fishing line at about the 3 foot level; the deer walk into
it, though they can't see it, and this sensory combination really spooks
them. Moreover, they can't jump over a barrier they can't see.

Another suggestion involves a horizontal barrier on the ground
surrounding the garden. Lay hardware cloth or chicken wire with large
holes on the ground around the garden. Make sure the barrier is wide
enough that they can't jump it, though; this may mean as much as ten feet
(!) The premise is that the deer feel this beneath their hooves as
unstable ground, and will avoid it. Humans wearing shoes are not quite as
particular, especially when they know what the barrier is for.

Good luck!
Jennifer Barricklow
New Haven, CT