Re: Religion and community gardening

Bob (and all)...

I think it's important to acknowledge, that as community gardeners, we
comprise a very diverse group of folks. We come from different backgrounds
and often have different beliefs and certainly different life paths.

However, we are all united by our love of gardening, by our commitment to
transforming a patch of land, however small, into a little slice of
paradise--or at least a respite from the world. Many of us are engaged in
building communities from the gardens in which we are involved, too.

I would hope that we would be able to honor the diversity that comes as a
part of this far-flung and very special group of people. I can understand
your feeling that religion has been misused by a great many people. In this
case, though, religion is being shared as a common ground for those who have
a reverence for the earth and for working in communities where our
connection to the earth may have been severed.

A part of the work we all do as community gardeners involve understanding
and tolerance. Those who have shared a religious perspective should be
welcomed to the table and learned from, if you want to, that is.

If religion is not your gig, that's fine. But I would hope that you can see
that the folks who shared this message are not peddling hatred or
divisiveness, but simply trying to emphasize another way in which to look at
the work in which we are all engaged. There are a tremendous number of
people who are attracted to community gardening who are religious folks, and
I would argue that all are spiritual in some way. Their contribution should
be honored, and if it doesn't appeal to you, it only takes one click to move
on.

Peace.

Odin