Re: Religion & the Environment

At a Rainbow Gathering in Upstate NY around 1991, there was a very, very old, dead tree, gorgeous
to behold its weathered form.
This tree became the source of an enormous arguement. Those of pagan practices were honoring the
tree as a grandparent full of wisdom to be listened to and respected. The Hare Krishnas prayed and
got Krishnas permission to cut it up for fire wood, which they did. The pagans were outraged at the
selfish destruction of an ancient relative. The Krishnas saw no problem, as their supreme being
granted them the right to cut it up and burn it.

I was not around to see how it all panned out, but I suppose the pagans ended up grumbling and
begrudging, and the Krishnas confused and aloof.

So, Right and Wrong, and who is the Creator and what is our role on Earth with Creation/Nature can
be very complex between faiths.

Somewhere, such dialogs must begin anew, as we are confronted with circumstances, i.e.
devestation of Earth, that is unprecedented, and to my knowledge, no culture or religion has doctrine
on how to deal with it all.

On this note, I highly recommend Thomas Berry's "The Dream of the EArth," in which he proposes
that we need a new mythology, one that is Earth-based and non-denominational. This reminds me of
my friend Zach who said out of the blue one evening, "I just realized that the people I gravitate
towards are very spiritual but not at all religious."

And the Dave Matthews Band: "Hands and feet are all alike, but fear between divides us."

And me: "Until the walls of defined perception come down, we will not see each other."

Peace to y'all!

Happy Gardening!

John Edward Verin
Senior Apprentice
Ecosystem Farm
Accokeek, MD

"...it's going to take a wrenching change of heart in those citizens of the world who have the world's goods in abundance.
Each of us must begin to experience the empowerment to change the world that comes from simplicity and wanting less."

- John Jeavons

Food is power... are you in control of yours?