Re: Religion and community gardening

Dawn wrote:
>There needs to be more separation than integration:   the topic of this
>forum is gardening not religion............

Excuse me?  The topic of this forum is community gardening.  *Many* of us
who started, work in and/or run community gardens did/do so because of our
desire to integrate our faith with solid work in the Creation -- as even a
casual glance at the sigs of the regular particpants in this forum would

Quite a number of community gardens are located on church-owned land -- and
are open to anyone in the community.  In fact, just before I logged onto my
computer, I was talking to a man who is in the process of setting up
community garden at a church who is a neighbor of, but not a member.
Therefore, to discuss the impact of religion and faith on land use/thoughts
about the environment is, in my opinion, *completely* on topic and should be

Note to the ACGA Board -- the continued comments (and not terribly polite
ones at that!) that religion has no place with community gardens has
convinced me that the "faith-based community garden cluster group" proposed
at the ACGA Fall Conference should be implemented without delay.
Personally, I *greatly* resent the insinuations that folks such as myself
don't belong in this forum and that we can't discuss our motivations and
share resources as freely as any of those involved in "secular" community

>More people are turned
>off from religion by being hit over the head by it than the cave men

The posts *I've* seen on this list have been very polite about the reasons
people of faith are turning to the environment to live out that faith.  If
you don't want to read them, you can see the subject line and delete them.
However, while I firmly believe that Dawn and Bob are entitled to their
opinions on religion, I also believe that Dawn and Bob have a responsiblity
to air their views in ways that do not personally attack or  downgrade
anyone whose views on religion differ from theirs.

I look forward to comments from the other members of this list on this
topic.  It is too important to ignore.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator
St. John's Organic Community Garden

A mission of