DC and Atlanta visited by Brazilian gardener

Dear Friends,

Maybe you have already noticed that I am a friend of yours who lives and
community gardens in Brazil.

I am dedicated to community gardening since 1979 and now I feel that its
time is arriving, finally... I perceive - in my latest contacts with
governmental officials, secretaries, advisors, etc., - that they are
more open to these ideas - that also include urban agriculture and
domestic composting, and environmental improvement - than never.. Of
course, the tragic social conditions make them more open to new ideas...

Now, I will have an opportunity to visit the US, just to research the
community garden movement, mainly in DC and Atlanta areas. In DC, I will
have the support of our Partners of the Americas committee - that
partnerships with our Brasilia committee, for home staying, previous
contacts with garden leaders, scheduling visits etc.

Do you know, please, anybody in Atlanta who could help me -
approximately - in the same way? To be honest, I plan to visit Atlanta
for having opportunity to visit CARE USA headquarters. CARE is preparing
to start operations in Brazil, and I would like to collaborate so its
coming to Brazil could make an effective difference for our future. From
March to July 99, I have been working for CARE, researching Brazilian
social conditions to inform its probe team who would visit Brazil in
June. You may see a picture of this team and I at
http://www.partners-bsbdc.org/carebr/team.htm .

Also, in Atlanta, I will have opportunity toe meet Dr. Gary Heusel, one
of the creators of the Character Counts! ethics education program, which
we, in Brasilia, are starting to adapt to our conditions and promote its
use nationwide. He lives in Lincoln, NE (where he leads the  state 4-H
office and networking), but he could meet me on November 27, when he
arrives in Atlanta. I need to meet him because he is good friend and
because we are preparing some training seminars, under his leadership,
next April, in Brasilia and other cities.

I could also stay in cheap hotel, or be hosted at a community facility,
college, anywhere. And I would like very much to meet people interested
in Brazilian issues (social, cultural, environmental, economical and
political issues), to discuss the latest facts and trends. Also the
alternatives for our future (the future of Brazil is very linked to the
global future - to give you a reason for this phrase, remember that
almost 20% of all the world fresh water is in this country).  I also
would like, very much, to meet, in DC and in Atlanta, people from
multilateral agencies and important development NGOs and foundations -
that are working in Brazil for years without significant success - to
discuss how they-we could improve the programming and the results.

I could also meet people interested in tai-chi chuan (the Chinese psycho
phisical practice) for open air free sessions of relax and high energy.

I will be visiting DC from November 6 to 20 and Atlanta from November 21
to 28.

I look forward to reading your suggestions. Thank you, Joaquim
You may meet me at http://www.partners-bsbdc.org/joaquim.htm and look at
the gardens I help with at: http://www.partners-bsbdc.org/hortas000.htm