Re: [sg] Federal Agency Support of Community & School Gardens

> I have an opportunity tomorrow to meet with representatives of United
> States Department of Agriculture, the Department of Education, and Housing
> and Urban Development to discuss how they might more effectively support
> community and school gardens. What suggestions to you have about how they
> might help?
> Lucy Bradley >>
Hello Lucy,
Ann English had some good ideas about the question at hand, however, though
I don't want to sound like a party pooper, I think getting any kind of
funding out of the anti-education Republican government for community and
school gardens when we can't even get decent salaries for teachers and when
the school system is weighted down by administrators and red tape, is
"wishful thinking".  Instead, perhaps grass roots community organizations
and PTA groups might think about encouraging these types of projects.  One
of the problems we had when I lived in Oregon was that the kids at the
schools would plant the gardens, then during the summer break when no one
was there they never got to see them grow to fruition.  Perhaps a combined
group of community and parents and teachers could do some grant searches
(gardens don't cost much and give SO much) and come up with some cooperative
efforts.  Thanks for doing this and good luck.  K. Wright