social impacts of collective gardens

   I am a third-year Environmental Studies student at McGill University
(Montreal, Canada), and I am looking into the impacts of socially-driven
collective gardens on the volunteers involved.  This research is part of a
full cost-benefit analysis of the gardens (including costs of inputs, amount
of harvest, etc.).
   The focus of my project is …coinitiatives, an organization that manages
several collective gardens in Montreal for the purpose of contributing to
social and ecological improvement in their community.  A portion of the
harvest is donated to the local Food bank, and the rest is shared among the
low-income volunteers that work in the garden.
   I am looking for advice on how to structure research of this kind (e.g.
interviews, surveys, etc.) and how to most effectively present my findings.
Are there other community gardens that have attempted to study the social
benefits of the their work, and if so, how?
   Thank you for any comments or advice,

Emilie Cameron
(514) 392-9704