Feet of Row Per Person Per Veggie

  • Subject: [cg] Feet of Row Per Person Per Veggie
  • From: greenman <greenman@ucla.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 10:15:57 -0700

Hello all...

Someone sometime back had a question regarding how much of X vegetable does
one plant per person in the household.  Now, I am of feeble mind and the
question might have been sufficiently answered, but I don't recall that it
was.  This morning, as we set ourselves in motion for pickling Golden beets
and basil beans, looking for more data, I came across the Michigan State
University Preserving Food Database at

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod01/master01.html

and by golly there you go.  Under each vegetable's listing is the number of
feet of row to plant for one person.

Additionally, John Jeavon's book with the impossibly long title has a chart
of how much space to allot each vegetable for an individual.

One of these days I'm going to be smart enough to not can on the hottest
days of our year.  But until then, wish me luck!

David "hotter than most" King