RE: beer residue ok for compost?

Off the top of my head this sounds fine as long as you balance the reds and
greens in your compost. My only concern is if the local brewery has added
some chemical to the hops and yeast to make fermentation go faster.

Run a batch of the stuff by the UC extension lab and the organic gardening
program at UC Santa Cruz. http://zzyx.ucsc.edu/casfs/brochure98.html

If the stuff is fine and the brewery is amenable, this is a very good thing
all around. If this is a corporate brewery ( Anhauser Busch, Miller, etc.)
their public relations people should have a good time with this (e.g. what a
"green", environmentally aware corporation this is - they might even put a
picture of the garden in their annual report!)
Pursue this.

Happy gardening,
Adam Honigman