Re: beer residue ok for compost?

Yvonne wrote"
>One of our community gardeners would like to know whether the residue from
>beer making (spent hops and yeast) was good for compost.

The author of "Gardening for Profit", the 19th century classic on market
gardening ADORED brewery wastes.  He spends about 1/4 of the book telling
you to find a nice brewery and add as much of the residue as the company
will give you.  It appeared to be the guy's absolute favorite soil amendment
-- even over manure, which he never turned down either.

Good luck and happy hauling!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of