USDA questions and quest for garden statistics

Greetings.  I am a student at the University of Kansas doing a research
project on community and urban gardening
and was wondering what really became of the urban gardening program that
was part of the smith-lever act.  Is this program at all existant in the
USDA today?
Also, I am searching for statistics or studies that give facts about the
benefits of community and/or urban gardens in the areas of nutrition,
economic development, community development, food securtiy, etc.  Does
anyone have good sources or articles he/she would recommend?
Please email me at hworth@ukans.edu.   Thank you
					Holly Worthen