How to Start, get Participants

  • Subject: [cg] How to Start, get Participants
  • From: ollie <bjorn@xmission.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:44:26 -0600

I just returned from the municiple session of the conference in SLC
today. My neighborhood chair and I are enthusiastic about starting the
program in Provo, Utah.
However, in my neighborhood I find it so difficult to get help for any
of my nonprofit's activities. Gardens need to be tended and I'm not sure
we could get the dependable volunteer base to keep it going when our
neighborhood meeting last week had just 1 resident. There are many
Latino families in the neighborhood also but they tend to keep to
themselves because of language barrier and not wanting to be discovered
if they aren't legal. We sometimes get Spanish versions of things but I
haven't seen any response.

So, anyway, how do you start? who do you need to recruit first? how many
people do you need? I wish I could've attended more of the conference to
learn the nuts and bolts. I want the neighborhood to start the process
and not us, as is the norm. We do most the work for people.

It seems like in this community there are many stay-at-home moms with
young children. Maybe if we made it kid-friendly we could get whole
families out? (Family Night at the Garden).

overall neighborhood makeup: mostly very conservative (sometimes
anti-government), often low education levels and low income levels.
Church activities take up a lot of people's time as does raising young
families. The people who care about the neighborhood tend to be
overloaded...

I just joined the list. I learned about it after speaking with Anna at
the end of the session.

thanks for your help,
Janet
VISTA for Neighborhood Housing Services of Provo