Re: Report from Lower Manhattan

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Report from Lower Manhattan
  • From: Lenny Librizzi <plantlot@rcn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:18:55 -0400

Adam,
 I am fine. I was on the Staten Island Ferry coming into Manhattan as the first  plane hit but did not hear or  see anything. As I was riding
my bike up to the office along the
East River I saw people looking up and that's when I first saw fire and sparkling debris coming out of the   north tower. From my office window I could also see the tower
burning but I was in another office and felt and heard a tremendous explosion when the second plane hit. We   left the building right away and I rushed back to the ferry.
The first building collapsed on my way to the ferry and I just got on as they were closing the ferry gates.   That was the last ferry that left for many hours. We took off in a
cloud of smoke which only cleared when we got about a half mile out. The second building collapsed just before   we arrived on Staten Island. I'm happy to be safe at
home with my family.  Not sure when we will know the full extent of what happened. So far everyone I know is  safe. For some reason a number of people were late for
work, sick or out of town.
Lenny