The world's longest ACGA conference

  • Subject: [cg] The world's longest ACGA conference
  • From: Sally McCabe <sallymcc@libertynet.org>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 02:15:07 -0400

God Bless America!

Janet Carter & I just arrived in Philadelphia after an extended stay in
Salt Lake City, where we've been marooned since the ACGA Conference ended
on Monday, Sept 10.

I'd like to specially thank Shane, Nancy, Susannah, Heather, Laurel,
Michael & Stephanie and the community gardeners who took care of us while
we were stranded. After a whole week of running a conference, they still
took care of us. People brought us food, took us on excursions, opened
their homes, and shared their families with us. The last night there,
Heather & her kids took us to the State Fair because they knew I was
homesick for the Philly Harvest Show, which happened this weekend. Some of
the little kids here, not knowing what else they could do, made flags to
send to the families in Washington. Around the state, Utah hospitals had to
turn away blood donors because there were too many of them, and folks in
Bountiful, an SLC suburb, raised $200,000 in one day to donate to relief
efforts in New York.

Special thanks also to Lorka, who was standing by to activate the
"Community Garden Caravan" to get us home via gardeners city by city across
the US.

Roll call from the SLC "refugees":
Gerard & Ellen went out with the first Delta Flight Crew on Thursday, ended
up in Philly, where they rented a car with Jason from the New York
Restoration Project and a firefighter from Montana, and drove home to New

Cathy Walker haunted the airport, and got home to Atlanta in time for her
daughter's baby shower on Saturday. Good thing, because she was about to
use up her 1000-minute plan on her cell phone.  Bobby Wilson found a flight
to Memphis, which was close enough to Atlanta to keep him happy.

Tracy Penner took a bus 26 hours to Vancouver, since she had teenagers home

Doris Stahl & Jeff Myers made it to Philly in time for the Harvest Show.
David Michael got home in time to do a Street Tree Arboretum tour on Sat AM
for the same event.

Marti Bjornson threated to not stop talking until Southwest sent her away,
and apparently it worked, since she reported in from Chicago this morning.

Janice Mudd couldn't get a flight to Florida before Sunday, so she's gone
up to the mountains til them.

Laura Saldivar is caravanning across the State's to New York, and left on
the first leg of the trip Friday morning.

We haven't heard from the crew who went camping in Zion. Hoping they have a
support group when they come out and get the news.  Doron, please let us
know you're all right.

Janet & I were the last ones to leave, and got out by spending the day at
the airport, traveling from gate to gate until finally they got sick enough
of us to send us on our way. United is still locked down, and we finally
managed to transfer over to Delta, routed from SLC to Philly by way of
Atlanta. We may never see our baggage again, but Oh my heck, we're
physically fine, and have our families close at hand.

Now that I know Tessa is safe, I'm going to sleep. My heart is with all
those who can't find theirloved ones. I'm holding mine very close tonight,
and may not let go of them for the next few days.