Back to Work - Digging Out

  • Subject: [cg] Back to Work - Digging Out
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:16:34 -0400

I post this because some of you have told me that news from NYC  local
observers is helpful to you in the process of sorting all of this out. In
supplement to CNN:
The rush hour traffic and jammed subway this morning was more inspiring than
annoying.  My usual walk from midtown  up the Hudson River Park being
blocked by emergency workers and materiel. The A-train was jammed, wall to
wall vehicular traffic the norm, security still quite high near government
facilities.  Work is coming in - life goes on.

At home: Two building neighbors  haven't returned since last Tuesday - we've
gotten keys to their apartments for out-of-town family representatives who
have started their searches. The hotels have been very good about selling
unlimited metro cards, company numbers have been set up for businesses that
used to be  in the World Trade Center, the FEMA and Red Cross are pretty
well organized now at the  26th Street Armory. Collecting dental records,
hair brushes etc for DNA has been wrenching. Alot of hand holding, coffee,
meals, kleenex, xeroxed maps and praying.   The West 55th Street Block
Association  (8-9th Avenues) has been trying to help out along our street
with the families of our missing ( 9 so far out of a population of 1,500
plus.) Three block residents thankfully were either late or escaped with
minor cuts from debris and falling glass and are among those who are
helping.   American flags are everywhere as are missing person's signs. I'm
pleased to say that none of our block's Arab/Yemeni or Sikh residents have
been harassed of assaulted ( we pray that this holds.) We are on the
look-out for trouble makers - usually drunk - who are looking for some folks
to bully. Not on our block.

The entrance to  Engine 54 on West 48th & Ninth is surrounded with flower
vases, candles and written messages. Yesterday, the families of firemen from
Engine 54 ( 14 missing) and Rescue 1 ( West 43rd bet 10th & 11th Avenues -
all 28 gone) were very much in presence. The feeling was prayerful, the
families were strong, tearful, welcomed neighborhood well wishers like
guests in their own homes. Very much the NYC Irish wake, but praying for

Had coffee last night with block neighbor  Rebecca T., a physician's
assistant out of St. Vincent's hospital, who hopped an ambulance down to the
site as soon as the disaster started. Rebecca, who comes from Pennsylvania
originally, sounds just like Sally McCabe. According to Rebecca, after
Wednesday, with the exception of workers injured at the site, no live
victims have been found or sent to local hospitals. It is a hard time, all

Caution: There are rip-off artists working the phones for contributions to
the Red Cross and other agencies.These scoundrels are targeting the elderly.
The FBI is already checking into this. If you wish to extend aid or
contributions, please contact your local Red Cross or charitable
organizations directly, not through telephone solicitation.

Our local community gardens have been havens for folks trying to collect
themselves and take a break from their troubles. I'm glad that we can help
by merely being green and peaceful.

T his will be a short work week for me because of the Jewish New Year ( Rosh
Hashanah) which begins tonight and continues into tomorrow. My synagogue's
security practices ( standard since the Buenos Aires bombing ten years ago)
are certain to be augmented. I've been asked to help usher because some of
our regular volunteers are either ill or among the missing.

Happy New Year  5762 - May you and yours be inscribed in the book of life.

Adam Honigman