mice in compost bins

We have a home composting demonstration site within an organic garden located in the middle of a conference center. We have wooden open top compost bins, closed top commercial Earth Machine bin, and a few others. Yard waste makes up 98% of the materials in the bins, the rest is coffee grounds and a tiny amount of food waste. The buildings have mice problems. Food is served in the buildings for conference groups, and there is a dining hall. The exterminator has indicated that the compost piles are the "mice buffet" and suggests they be moved or removed. I have seen mice in the compost piles, but I have also seen mice disappearing into holes in the ground in various landscaped areas, not just in the garden. Can someone please help me save the home composting demo site and provide me with suggestions for changing the bins and/or arguments as to why the bins may not be the real problem? Thank you.

Julie Berbiglia
Organic Garden Coordinator
Scarritt-Bennett Center
1008 19th Avenue South