Re: Settlement of litigation involving New York CIty gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Re: Settlement of litigation involving New York CIty gardens
  • From: Masboy178@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 16:16:07 EDT

<PRE>The Mayor and attorney general ageed on a proposal that was flawed, as it
failed to include certain sections of the city that have a high concentration
of people of color.  Instead, a decision was made to build MARKET RATE
housing on the sites of community gardens which are located in an area that
is inundated with vacant lots.  The majority of the neighborhood residents
have median incomes of less than $30,000.00 per year.  Their children have
one of the highest rates of asthma and upper respiratory ailments in the
city. We are a viable member of society that deserves the same right to open
green spaces as any other neighborhood.  When the parties sat down to come up
with a plan to end the litigation, it should have been a fair and equitable
solution.  That did not happen.  It was a job miserably done.  Of course, I
did not expect every garden to be saved but not a single one of our gardens
were considered worth saving.  YOU TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?
My name is Helen Boykin-Mason and I am a member of Fantasy Garden which is
located in Brownsville, Brooklyn.