Re: RE: AG settlement is unfair!

  • Subject: Re: RE: [cg] AG settlement is unfair!
  • From: Lenny Librizzi plantlot@rcn.com
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:33:29 -0400

David, Gwenne,
Other than on the list serves no one is talking about the housing projects that are being
proposed for the garden sites have no income restrictions. So we are not  talking about affordable housing here. There
are usually other vacant lots nearby that could be developed instead of the garden. Although the agreement calls for a
review process which includes possible relocation sites for any of the gardens that will be subject to development in the
future, the 30 gardens set for immediate development have no option for alternate sites. Yes, these sites are in housing
programs that are funded and have gone through a review process that did not mention that a garden existed on the
site. Certain neighborhoods that are short on parkland like Brownsville are particularly hard hit. Trying to save the 100+
gardens that haven't been offered preservation and are still subject to development in the future is the next battle.
Here is a link to a little more enlightened article by Sarah Ferguson but even she does not mention the market rate type
of housing programs and makes it sound like these are new gardens that never existed before.
http://www.citylimits.org/content/articles/weeklyView.cfm?articlenumber=837
Lenny