using cardboard, leaves, etc. to make soil

  • Subject: [cg] using cardboard, leaves, etc. to make soil
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:57:08 -0400

After the hurricane our township is allegedly using the debris to make
compost.  You should check out the claims of your elected officials.  We
took a pickup truck load of limbs that we found too large for our chipper to
the "facility".  The expensive chipper that the township purchased is parked
behind the municipal building and the debris is being dumped in a landfill
several miles away that is marked with two signs.  One says that it is the
composting location and the other states, "do not dump".  Even the township
receptionist was under the impression that an actual composting location
existed.  She took us there and asked the contractors who were building
homes on a previous illegal dump site where the composting site had gone.

My point with this monologue is to never trust your elected and appointed
officials.  Just because they send out expensive newsletters stating that
mulch is being made for the use of the community...doesn't mean that such a
project exists.

I have more compost on my small plot than the township has at the composting

Sincerely disappointed,
Helen Steely
Swatara Twp. near Hbg., Penna.