FW: Hope to see you in Toronto!

  • Subject: [cg] FW: Hope to see you in Toronto!
  • From: "Kirby, Ellen" <ellenkirby@bbg.org>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:29:12 -0400

Dear Community Gardening/Greening Folks,

I'm writing to make a pitch for the annual ACGA conference in Toronto,
one of the greenest cities in North America. I also believe that Canada
is a leading light in the worldwide environmental movement and those of
us from other countries should show them our respect. It's just a few
weeks away, but not too late to be part of this historic event, which
will celebrate ACGA's 25th anniversary. Although we have a sizable group
of people registered, we know some of you are holding out and maybe need
a bit of encouragement to register. We need you there!

ACGA conferences are one of the best way to really know what's going on
in the community gardening world. I have found these conferences to be
my "university without walls" and the networking to be extraordinary. If
you want details or online registration, just go to

To have the chance to go to Toronto and see what's happening there is a
once in a lifetime experience.  Canadians have always been leaders in
the world of composting, environmental responsibility and community
gardening.  I for one missed the ACGA conference held in Montreal
several years ago and am really excited about the program that is
planned for us in October by our ACGA colleagues and friends in Canada.
I've just heard that in addition to our regular participants we will
have at least a dozen folks in attendance from various countries around
the world thanks to a progressive Canadian foundation which contributed
to our ACGA scholarship fund.  It will be great to hear from gardeners
from the Caribbean, Africa, Asia, Latin America and other parts of the

I also know that the exchange rate is very good for those of us from the
US plus the Canadian government will refund us for sales taxes we spend
while there.  It applies to hotels and any purchase of goods, I believe.
The cost of accommodations is thus significantly less than meets the

I know that the time is short to make your plans, but I encourage anyone
who can to get their reservations at the hotel in the next week.  For
the sake of ACGA and our Canadian planners, we very much need to fill
the rooms we have reserved for the conference.  So, if you need any
other incentive, please go to help ACGA continue to be a leading
organization in the world of community gardening/greening!

Perhaps some of you can add your words of encouragement to others to
attend the conference (or answer questions that anyone may have).

Regards to all,

Ellen Kirby, Director
Brooklyn GreenBridge
Community Horticulture Program