RE: Biggest garden? plus, plug for Greening Review and Toronto conference

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Biggest garden? plus, plug for Greening Review and Toronto conference
  • From: "utahgardens" <utahgardens@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:53:12 -0600

Don and Adam and others,

Thanks for the information on some of the other projects around the country.
It gives me some ideas as to the possibilities that exist as this project
grows. Perhaps to give a clarification: currently the garden is just in the
beginning stages of development. It will take us some time to get it the way
we envision it. The garden is approximately 700 feet deep and 900 feet wide.
The plan, and thus far the progress, is to rent rows 5 feet wide and 700
feet long with a 3-4 foot walkway. That would only allow us about 100 plots,
200 if we go to a half row. So as far as number of plots go, we will
definitely be less in number than the others.

Yes we are implementing an on site farmers market. Gardeners are allowed to
sell their produce up at the top of the street the garden is on. It is a
main thoroughfare with thousands of cars a day passing by. We have a
conditional use permit with the city to do this and have to comply with some
of their rules, one of which is that only produce grown on site can be sold
their. This somewhat ties our hands in the beginning, but I think it has
some advantages in the long run. Our rental fee ($65.00 a row-this year)
includes the use of the farmers' market.

We are planning a community composting portion, a section for growing for
the needy and an on site greenhouse as an education center.

Anyway, we know it is a long ways off to have a large fully developed
project, but we are looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the ideas and info.

Shane