Re: garden management sustainability

  • Subject: Re: [cg] garden management sustainability
  • From: "Jack Hale" <jackh@knoxparks.org>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:02:30 -0400 (EDT)

Seems like most gardens with strong leaders run into this situation.  Either folks have had it with an autocratic leader (regardless of how well intentioned he or she might be), or the leader is trying to figure out how to get out gracefully before he or she has a stroke.  Of course, waiting around for the stroke sort of solves everybody's problem, but in a not very nice way.  Sometimes the impetus comes just from somebody who realizes that an autocracy is inherently weak, regardless of the personalities involved.  Nonetheless, getting out of that situation is never easy.  Best idea is to not get into that situation in the first place, but who is wise enough to pull that off.

It sounds, at least, as if you have a person who is willing to step down.  That sort of solves what can be the biggest problem - dislodging the entrenched leader.  Even so, longtime leaders will have lots of thoughts running through their heads and hearts.  If I don't do it, it won't get done.  If I want it done right I have to do it myself.  There's just one more thing I want to get done before I step down.  If I'm not here, that jerk will get the job.  If I step down and it falls apart, it will all be my fault.  It will be awkward to go to the garden if I'm not running things - people will look at me funny.  In the face of that litany, it's tough for anybody to actually do what needs to be done to step away.

So, the first thing is that the potentially retiring leader needs to bone up on tough love and faith in the strenght and creativity of fellow humans.  They need to believe that somebody else could probably handle the job.  They need to believe that although their way is the best way, another way might work.  They need to believe that if they disappear somebody else or a group will somehow rise to the challenge.  They need to believe that it's not really their job to carry the world on their shoulders.

There can be some preparation for the multitudes.  It's not a bad idea to announce one's intentions in advance.  It's not a bad idea to suggest ways for people to take over the reins.  It may be useful to propose a governance and succession system a la Clinton CG so that people will have some tracks to follow.

On the other hand, there's no power like the power of creating a vacuum.  At some point the person actually has to walk away.  Strokes and cancer probably aren't the best solutions, but they communicate well.  A difficult pregnancy works if you are of the right sex and age group.  Sometimes a little lying is useful.  Instead of saying I'm just too damn tired to keep doing this (What a wuss!), maybe you can blame it on a doctor - he says if I don't cut back there won't be another harvest for me.  Somehow that break needs to be made, and the person stepping down has to decide to do it and then do it.

Don't let preparations stall the process.  The leader stepping down can try to ease the transition by communicating or organizing committees or something, but if the departure gets put off because the preparations aren't complete, you are back in the same co-dependent circle.

This is all a matter of faith, belief in fellow humans and oneself.  And faith is a tough topic.  Good luck.

Jack N. Hale
Executive Director
Knox Parks Foundation
75 Laurel Street